Sunday, July 4, 2010

Blast from the Past #320: Hampshire Life Fourth of July cover drawing

I generally don't post twice in one day, but just as I was finishing up the "flame sword" post, I noticed this piece in the same folder... and seeing as it is July 4th today, thought I'd put it up too.



This is one of the many covers I did for Hampshire Life back in the 1970's and 1980's. I can't recall in which year this one was done.

I went a little crazy with the white-out spatter and cross-hatching in an attempt to get a particular lighting effect. I'm not sure if it worked as well as I'd hoped, but I guess it's okay. -- PL

4 comments:

mikeandraph87 said...

Funny thing about that image a similar drawing appeared in my local paper today!

Happy Independence Day,Mr. Laird!

Jeff M said...

This drawing is very 1970s in style. it almost looks like something you'd see in a scene in "The Wall." This way of drawing also happens to be one of my favorites.

Tyr Germanic said...

The flame sword post was badass,i like the design of the warrior alot.
Have you ever seen an episode of krod mandoon and the flaming sword of fire?
Its a not too subtle parody show but its still funny,and as the title says,he has a flaming sword of fire.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Happy Fourth!