Saturday, July 10, 2010

Blast from the Past #321: Ink portrait of Cary Grant

I am really not sure WHY I drew this, probably some time back in the late 1970's. I don't think it was ever published anywhere, and though I have nothing against the late actor Cary Grant, he has never been one of my favorites. So why did I draw it?



One possible clue is the way I inked it -- with a brush, and without much in the way of outlining of shapes, which is the way I typically drew and inked stuff. It may be that this was just an inking exercise, perhaps inspired by seeing an old photo of Cary Grant. -- PL

2 comments:

Adam Riches said...

I'm not a Cary Grant fan either, but I must say that is quite a good likeness, especially considering the style, medium, and how long ago it was drawn.

I did a little google searching hoping to find the original reference material you used, because I was curious to how it compares but no luck. Did you happen to save the original photo along with the drawing? You do seem to keep impeccable archives of your work, so I figured I'd ask.

CJJ said...

Did you know Cary Grant was a friend of Carrie Fischer?