Friday, April 29, 2011

Blast from the Past #364: Unfinished drawings

Here are a group of unfinished drawings, all done on similarly-sized pieces of Bristol board -- and I can't remember why I drew them. They are most likely from the late 1970's or early 1980's. There is a clue to the "why" of one of them -- in the drawing in the lower lefthand corner, there is a handwritten caption reading "The student Anselmus sees the snakes in the elder tree…" I believe this is a reference to a character in E.T.A. Hoffman's "The Golden Pot", a book I read and liked after hearing it read on the "Reading Aloud" program on NPR, which I often used to listen to as I drew.



There is something about the sizes of these things that makes me think I had a plan to use them for some project, but for the life or me, I can't recall what it might have been. (I hate that.) -- PL

1 comment:

Mark H said...

What an interesting look at some raw sketches from your early days. I really dig the sketchiness of them. I would be curious to know what the spaceship in the bottom middle was all about.
Thanks for sharing! :D