Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Okay, I just had a MAJOR "geek moment"...



Five minutes ago, I watched the newest trailer for the "Avengers" movie.

Then I watched it three more times.

I've been looking forward to this movie ever since it was rumored to be in the works, and have been devouring the little bits of foreshadowing of it in movies like "Iron Man", "Thor", and "Captain America", as well as the initial trailer, which was pretty exciting.

But this one…

Holy moley!

There are so many cool moments in this new trailer, but there is one which almost made me cheer out loud. It comes near the end of the trailer, and it shows Iron Man plummeting from the sky after engaging in savage aerial combat with the forces of the evil Loki. He looks seriously damaged, possibly doomed… but suddenly, out of nowhere, the Incredible Hulk leaps up, catches him and brings him safely back to Earth, using a convenient building facade to slow their descent, the Hulk's mighty emerald fingers tearing a huge rent in the concrete and steel as they fall.

Wow.

It truly is a great time to be a comic book fan. I can scarcely believe a movie like this is actually being made… that -- barring some unexpected disaster -- I will be sitting in a theater in May of this year watching the whole thing, not just a tantalizing two minute and twenty-one second-long trailer.

It's not quite the same thing, but watching this new "Avengers" trailer evokes the sense of "Geez -- I guess almost anything IS possible! " feeling I had many years ago when the two biggest comic book companies in the US put aside their usual fierce competition and collaborated -- the result being the ground-breaking team-up of DC's Superman and Marvel's Spider-Man.

Hmm… that just made me think… could something THAT crazy ever happen at the movies? You never know… -- PL

4 comments:

Mark H said...

I've watched the preview a couple times. It looks AWESOME! Can't wait to see it! It looks like there is going to be a fight scene with Thor vs Captain America vs Iron Man. How cool is that? The new CG HULK looks better than ever. The effects look fantastic. I agree the part with the Hulk catching Iron Man and literally tearing down the side of the building was sensational. I found myself saying "Yes!!" out loud. This is one I will have to see in the theaters! It is a good time to be a comic book fan.
Have a good one,
-M

Adam Riches said...

Despite abhorring the poster (art?), I've watched the trailer a couple of times, and have to agree with your sentiments Pete, I think it looks phenomenal! Even with how many various forms of comic related media I've seen come out in my lifetime (cartoons, movies, games, etc) it still seems pretty incredible to me that this particular movie is being made. It feels like the long-overdue culmination of two decades worth of Marvel movies.

As far as a Marvel/DC crossover movie, I know a lot of people would love to see it happen (and I'm one of them!) but with Disney now owning Marvel, it seems like it could become a nightmare over proprietary rights and who would retain what percentage of royalties in perpetuity. Ya never know though, stranger things have certainly happened!

Anonymous said...

WOW. O_O I thought the 1st trailer was nuts, but this one ups the ante a little bit. The part at the end where it's the whole team & the camera is circling them is just epic. I'm totally excited for this. I'm a big fan of Joss Whedon's work and writing style so I hope this movie accurately reflects that.

From Mary's Pen said...

Almost as crazy as a couple of guys coming up with a multi-million dollar franchise while shooting the bull over a kitchen table, huh? ;)

Can't wait. I'm not as huge a Marvel comics fan as you clearly are, but this one looks exciting. :)

Rejoicing in the day,
-Mary