Sunday, February 1, 2009

Blast from the Past #146: "They Came from the Fifties"

There is a small, independent movie theater in Northampton called the Pleasant Street Theater. They show many films that you might not be able to see at your local cineplex. Years ago (pre-Turtles), I designed several posters for this theater, and this one -- for a festival of science fiction movie from the 1950's -- was my favorite. It was a lot of fun to draw. -- PL



Update January 11, 2011: This is a minor thing, but in going through some old stuff I found this:


Apparently I was considering at least one different approach for the "three-dimensional" type in this poster, and ended up using only a part of this design.

It's funny -- this is the kind of thing that today anyone with passable skills in Illustrator and/or Photoshop could probably bang out in ten minutes. Back when I did this poster, those programs and their amazing tools didn't exist in anyones wildest dreams.

Well, certainly not in MY wildest dreams, anyway. -- PL

4 comments:

Neil Vitale said...

Wow, neat idea.....

And I love that theaters show old movies still. I just wish there where more DIGITAL theaters with great picture quality that showed the classics.

I saw Star Wars: Clone Wars in the theater last year, and it reminded me why I don't go to the movies anymore.

The picture was so faded out and blurry that I almost wanted to ask for my money back. It was a MUCH better film watching it with a super sharp picture on Blu-Ray..

Oh, and a question for next week. Are there more Turtle panels to be announced, or did any get cancelled? I was told there might be more than two from the NYCC guys. But I can't wait for the 4Kids one on Sunday. I can only stay for half of the Mirage one since another panel I want to see is on at the same time...

I HATE when panels conflict :)..You'd think they'd organize the bigger ones so they'd be a bit spread apart from each other...

Daniel Schwarz said...

That's cool. I bet this has a lot of nostalgia value for you, Pete. It must have felt like a different life before the Turtle phenomenon took off.

I hope there are still movie theaters around somewhere that do this. I'm not especially fond of old science fiction thrillers, but I have a lot of respect for the past, and I love it when snippets from another age survive through the decades as everything around it changes.

I also think this is a good reminder of what a struggling artist has to do to survive. Thanks for posting!

PL said...

"Neil said...

Oh, and a question for next week. Are there more Turtle panels to be announced, or did any get cancelled? I was told there might be more than two from the NYCC guys. But I can't wait for the 4Kids one on Sunday. I can only stay for half of the Mirage one since another panel I want to see is on at the same time..."

Neil, I don't know of any other Turtle panels. I do know that I won't be taking part in any of them. -- PL

Bookgal said...

Love Plesant Street. I saw some Anime films there over the years..