Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blast from the Past #243: "John Morrell's Meats" goodbye card

Sometimes, when you are a struggling freelance illustrator, you get some odd gigs. You have to pay the rent and put food on the table, so you take these jobs and try to do your best.

This was one of those, done in 1980. I can't recall much about how I got this job, but I do remember that it was meant to be a custom "goodbye" card for an employee of John Morrell's Meats.



The words in the word balloons here were written by the person who commissioned the card, and as I recall they supposedly reflected the different personalities of people working at this company at that time. I believe I was specifically directed to depict all of the people as pigs (I guess because the company did a lot of business in pig meat).

It was a weird gig, but actually kind of fun. I've always like this drawing -- it's probably my best "anthropomorphic pigs sitting around a table" illustration ever. -- PL

4 comments:

Tyr Germanic said...

cool.thats a textbook odd job.
did the guy ask that they all wear heart shaped glasses too?
to me thats weirder than pigs wearing suits.

Mica said...

That's so awesome! :) We have a John Morrells plant here in our town, so it's a little strange to me. I like the antromorphic pigs :D At least they don't have hair. Miss piggy always weirded me out with that blonde mop of hers :p

PL said...

"Tyrgermanic said...
cool.thats a textbook odd job.
did the guy ask that they all wear heart shaped glasses too?
to me thats weirder than pigs wearing suits."

Yes, I was told that they should all be wearing the heart-shaped glasses. I don't know why. -- PL

~ tOkKa said...

-->> Weirdness gets topped right here. Talk about a sausage fest.

X{

Freekin hilarious !!