Friday, May 21, 2010

Blast from the Past #305: "Pursuit"

In my entire career as a comic book artist I haven't done many complete comics stories by myself. Issue #12 of the first volume of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" may be the only comic book wherein I was reponsible for everything (except the lettering). Issue #15 comes close, but Jim Lawson inked that one. And I think I did all but the lettering on the first issue of "Stupid Heroes"... or did Ryan Brown ink that? It's been so long, I don't remember.

So anyway, this following piece -- a ten-page comic story titled "Pursuit" that I wrote, penciled, inked (and, sadly, lettered) -- is kind of unusual. Not for any particular inherent qualities of its contents, but just because completing a piece like this by myself was a rarity. I'm not sure why that was. Some have suggested that -- at least as far as comic book work goes -- I work better in collaboration with others. I think there is a certain about of truth in that. At the very least, I am more productive in collaboration with others.

This short story concerns a violent incident in the "life" of P-13, a police pursuit android. It's interesting to read this and consider some similarities between it and "Fugitoid", which Kevin Eastman and I worked on together. I am pretty sure "Pursuit" came before "Fugitoid".

As you may notice on reading "Pursuit", it has an open-ended conclusion which makes it seem like I may have been considering further adventures of P-13. In fact, I even put in an "End of Chpter One" caption on the last page. Whatever my intentions were at the time, I do know that I never did anything else with this character.

I don't think this has ever been published anywhere. -- PL










8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Pete. It was published, in the Dec 86 issue of Gobbledygook.

mikeandraph87 said...

Good eye. I knew I had seen it myself,but couldn't recall where I'd seen it.

Also,in light of the previous entry. We all are just honored that you are reaching out to us fans and we get to know you better,you've even made it a family thing. Thanks for the reach out. Also,Jim Lawson seems to be taking the ramping down of Mirage pretty hard and closed his blog a day or so ago. Maybe he needs some encouragement as he is already missed.

PL said...

" lovedelicgames said...
Hey, Pete. It was published, in the Dec 86 issue of Gobbledygook."

Thanks for pointing that out! -- PL

Troy Mantz said...

This is great, Pete. I would have liked to have been able to see it in print myself.

galebenning said...

On my recent hunt for more of the Mirage Universe in print, I was pleased to have found this in Gobbledygook, which the issue now ranks among my top favorites for it's broad strokes of characters and plot.

Regardless, thank you for giving us addition insight into your mindset of your work and spending the time to scan everything.

I actually was thinking how interesting it would be to see a revisiting of the character and seeing how he has made it, but not an immediate continuation, rather 27 years later, a span of time between 1983 and 2010.

TMNTboy said...

AWESOME

B.Thomas said...

Great artwork Pete! I could definitely see this being made into a film adaptation; CGI of course.

Mark Onyx said...

Yeah, Gobbledygook! I remember buying it when it first came out, shows you how old I am. I also loved the one off issue of Grunts. I remember as a kid being so excited when anything new came out from Mirage Studio and the inky smell of the freshly printed news print... Brings back many happy memories!
Mark