Monday, January 17, 2011

Blast from the Past #337: Martin Luther King, Jr. ... and Archie Bunker's chair?

In honor of the great man for whom today's holiday is named, I dug out -- not without some difficulty -- this drawing I remembered that I had done years ago for the Daily Hampshire Gazette. It ran on the editorial page of the paper (NOT in "Hampshire Life", as I'd thought while I was searching for it) on January 16, 1980.



Unfortunately, although I had made a note about when and where the drawing was published, I did not save the editorial. But my somewhat sketchy memory tells me that it had something to do with both the discussions of the then-possibility of a "Martin Luther King, Jr. Day" and the installation of Archie Bunker's stuffed chair in the Smithsonian Institution. (Archie Bunker, as people of a certain age will recall, was the "lovable bigot" played by Carroll O'Connor in the tv series "All in the Family".)

And in the "You learn something new every day" department -- did you know that Martin Luther King, Jr.'s original name was Michael King, Jr.? I didn't, until I saw it mentioned online today. -- PL

2 comments:

mikeandraph87 said...

Its interesting seeing the head of the most beloved civil rights activist with America's favortie bigot.

I knew about his and his father's real names being Michael thanks to my U.S. history teacher giving my class trivia back when I was a Jr. in high school. Though I didn't know why until I saw your post and found the following on wikipedia:
Martin Luther King, Jr., was born on January 15, 1929, in Atlanta, Georgia, the middle child of the Reverend Martin Luther King, Sr. and Alberta Williams King.King's father was born "Michael King", and Martin Luther King, Jr., was originally named "Michael King, Jr.," until the family traveled to Europe in 1934 and visited Germany. His father soon changed both of their names to Martin Luther in honor of the German Protestant leader Martin Luther. King, Jr.

Mark H. said...

Well Done! Thank you for sharing this.
~We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.
Martin Luther King, Jr.