Friday, September 19, 2008

C-3PO meets Magnus, Robot Fighter

This is another piece of pre-Turtles art by me and Kevin Eastman, done back in 1983 when we were having fun goofing on some of our favorite characters from comics and movies. This was my version of what might happen if C-3PO from the "Star Wars" movies ever ran afoul of the steel-smashing hands of "Magnus, Robot Fighter" from the old Gold Key comics. I penciled this one (on coquille board), and Kevin inked it and added the tones.




The "Magnus" comics, as drawn by the incredible Russ Manning, were a big influence on me -- I especially loved the way he drew the robots. You can see this influence in the design of the Fugitoid. -- PL

7 comments:

Dinoff said...

Poor C-3PO!
The most mistreated character in Star Wars Universe! Why must everything happen to him?! Hahaha!

Awesome art work!

Good job!

~Dinoff~

Bookgal said...

LOL I can totaly hear C3po's voice in my head "Oh my! How rude!"

~ tOkKa said...

-->>HA .. Don't think poor Threepio , after a jab like that'd be able to say ANYTHING.

>v<

Adam said...

3PO never saw it coming...

Oh well, he's been through worse, I think.

The S said...

I wonder if I'm the only one here other than Mr. Laird that knows who Magnus is....

-Steven

Terrence Berres said...

To answer Steven's question,

"Oh my! How rude!"
should be
"Oh my! How rude! SQUEEE!"

Capital Chay said...

Magnus was very popular once Valiant got a hold of him.