Saturday, September 13, 2008

Piaggio MP3 500

Last month, I posted about the motorcycle trip I took with Jim Lawson and Steve Lavigne down to Sharon, CT and back, including a stop at Canton Cycles in Winsted, CT. What I didn't mention was that while we were there, I put an order in for a new motorcycle -- the Piaggio MP3 500. This is my third three-wheeled motorcycle (I don't count my Gold Wing sidecar rig). It is very similar to the MP3 250, one of which I bought last year, except that instead of a 250cc motor, this new one has a motor displacing 500cc.

What is really cool about these MP3's is that the two front wheels are articulated in such a way that they are able to lean together, resulting in a ride which is virtually indistinguishable from that of a two-wheeled motorcycle (except that, having one extra wheel, the MP3 has better braking and road-holding ability).

Yesterday, having gotten all the paperwork taken care of (thanks, Katie!), I decided to pick up the new MP3 at the dealer. My Victory Vision -- which I had also purchased there -- was due (actually, OVER due) for service, so I combined the trip to bring it in for service with picking up the new MP3. The roughly eighty mile ride down, though overcast and cool, was fine. Unfortunately, by the time I got on the new MP3, it had started raining fairly heavily. I did have the foresight to bring a rain suit with me, and the MP3's fairing provided decent lower body protection, but still... eighty miles in the rain in NOT fun. But I did make it back home safe and sound, albeit somewhat wet and cold.

Today the weather was much nicer, and I took another ride on the new MP3. It's a very cool bike, and the power increase is noticeable, especially on hills and fast roads. I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have all the on-board storage capacity that the 250cc version has, but there is still enough under the seat to hold my MacBook Air, a full rain suit, a sketchbook, and a few other small items.

Here's a photo I took of the new bike next to a nice swamp on Route 116, one of my favorite roads. -- PL

6 comments:

Bookgal said...

This is a cool machine!

Splinter's Iroonna said...

OOoooOOOooo! A tricycle!

I could definitely ride a trike.

~ tOkKa said...

-->> ..no wonder why Jim's so good at designing otherworldly and wild vehicles.

>v<

Dragon Turtle said...

The Headlights remind me of Serling.=)

VforVashaw said...

You know Peter, you've got me seriously looking into getting one of those.

- Austin

Capital Chay said...

I think you like them because they are Planer Racer-ish.