Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lovecraftian village


I think I first read some of H.P. Lovecraft's fiction in high school, and I was immediately captivated by the concepts he came up with in his "Cthulhu Mythos". From time to time, I have tried my hand at trying to illustrate some of those concepts, or at least create illustrations inspired by them. This is a fairly early one, from 1977, depicting a scene set in one of those weird, unpleasant small New England towns Lovecraft liked to describe. -- PL

8 comments:

Ectopaul said...

You're known as the guy who created the Ninja Turtles, obviously, but I think you're very underrated as an artist. I'm loving all these non-turtle art posts, keep em coming!

synthicide said...

i quite like the cthulhu clouds.

Dinoff said...

Wow!
And I thought your Turtle art was awesome!

Speaking of turtles, is that a sewer cover I see? Haha!

Really, really, awesome art! It just keeps getting better!

~ tOkKa said...

-->> ..the cross-hatching on the buildings is interesting as hell.

dunno if if we've seen something like that on a piece of yours before.

>v<

Vaughn Michael said...

That's seriously amazing!
I love the little character on the left.
I agree with Ecto, you're one hell of an artist.
It's a shame you don't really do this stuff anymore.
But I do love seeing the work you've done in the past all the same.

Have you ever thought about bringing out a coffee table book?
-Vaughn M.

Bookgal said...

Creeeeeeepy! Love it, and I agree the cthulhu clouds just make this!

Unknown said...

Welcome to Innsmouth.

Capital Chay said...

Underrated? Agreed!