Sunday, September 7, 2008

Hallowe'en cover for "Scat" free comics magazine

Here's something a little different. This was a drawing I did for a Hallowe'en-themed issue of "Scat", the free comics magazine I co-founded with some other Northampton-area artists back in the late 1970's. The image is actually based on a friend I had in the area at that time, an antique dealer who had a cool collection of pumpkin artifacts.



As fans familiar with the minutiae of Mirage Studios history know, it was a discarded copy of "Scat" that Kevin Eastman found on a bus he was taking between Northampton and Amherst that eventually led him to meet me, and... well, you know the rest. -- PL

7 comments:

Dinoff said...

It's awesome to see your artwork in a different "genre" (other than TMNT work). You are a very talented artist!

~ tOkKa said...

-->> ..one of your creepier pieces.

(( Tho' none are as creepy as the old 'Business Man ' piece.. ))

>v<

Vaughn Michael said...

That's really cool how that happen, I guess all friendships change with time though and people grow in differnt ways.
It happend to me with many of my old "friends", many I'd now consider enemies (in the way that they have done me wrong).
I'm really not trying to bring up this issue so please don't think I am, but it some times feels like in an odd way that the Turtles Parents have split up and now they can only see the one dad at cons lol.
I'm sure it's easier to get things done though without the both of you going back and forth.
Sorry to draw bad blood out if I did, it wasn't my intetion at all.
I've just been doing allot of thinking about life in general as of late, and this sort of relates.
-Vaughn M.

Vaughn Michael said...

I do have another question for you also.
Do you know why Wal-Marts across America are no longer carrying TMNT figures by Playmates?
Or do you think someone at Mirage could find out?
We have about 13 Wal-marts in my Area alone and only 1 of them sells TMNT figures and is an hour away.
I'm just a bit concerned is all and want to get to the bottom of this mystery and see if they are gone forever or will be coming back around Christmas or something.
This just seems so odd, thank you!
-Vaughn M.

Bookgal said...

I love this, it has a nice EC Comics feel to it. Awesome!

~ tOkKa said...

-->> The ' creepy ' comment was also meant as a compliment.

Much in lieu of your friend Mr.Bissette .. and his ' E C ' history ( as mentioned in post prior..(

>v<

Capital Chay said...

I loved seeing yor other work as in the Gobbledygook books.