Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Blast from the Past #204: "Calendar of the Gods" cover

Back in 1987, my brother Don and I self-published this calendar project. Each month featured an illustration by me of a particular mythological deity, inspired by legends from around the world. Don did most of the research and also contributed some border designs and a text piece on each deity. I think we printed a couple hundred of these (couldn't afford to do more) and tried to sell them, without much success.



This is my cover art for the calendar, which I did during my "love of crosshatch and stippling" phase. -- PL

6 comments:

Matt said...

Thats A LOT of crosshatching. I was out your way today.. Pittsfield area. Had to stop off at a Best Buy there. The only store in an hour area to have an D-SLR camera I was looking to get. Man, pretty drive but holy smokes it was a haul from Albany.

~ tOkKa said...

-->> Nice .. from afar it almost looks like an old Black and White movie title card.

Weird !!

..Damm i hope we get to see some of the 'GODS ' ..

(( "Saurian Design " ?! ))

zog said...

Any of these for sale?

Bookgal said...

Oh this is right up my ally! I wish I had been aware of them as a kid, my babysitting money would have gone for one for sure. I LOVE mythology!

PL said...

"zog said...

Any of these for sale?"

Not at the present time. -- PL

PL said...

"~ tOkKa said...

-->> Nice .. from afar it almost looks like an old Black and White movie title card.

Weird !!

..Damm i hope we get to see some of the 'GODS ' ..

(( "Saurian Design " ?! ))"

"Saurian Design" was the name I came up with for the illustration business I was hoping to start up at the time, back in the mid-1970's. It never went anywhere under that name.

I may post some images of the "Gods" that I drew... at least the ones which don't make me cringe to look at now. -- PL