Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Blast from the Past #214: adaptive re-use

This drawing -- which I think dates from back in the early 1980's -- is an example of what I like to call "adaptive re-use". In this case, I had spent quite a bit of time drawing this corridor full of machinery, and I believe originally there was a robot peeking out of that doorway. I thought it might be handy to be able to re-use parts of this drawing, and so created an acetate overlay onto which I pasted the drawing of the barbarian with the sword (you can see that it doesn't line up precisely with the rest of the drawing -- when I took this photo, the acetate had shifted).



I think I did this a few times with various things I didn't want to re-draw, but it never became a real habit with me. -- PL

2 comments:

Adam Riches said...

Do you ever miss the "good old days" or are you the type of illustrator that was more than happy adapting to digital stuff (ie: photoshop)? I always admire the ingenuity required back in the day with acetate and xerox and tracing paper, etc, etc. Where as something like this could have been done in about 10 seconds on photoshop today.

Anyway,s good stuff (as usual) I really think you had another career as an industrial designer on the horizon if TMNT hadn't panned out. Your detailed machinery stuff is always out of this world awesome.

~ tOkKa said...

-->> ..yeh & despite the 'shifting ' there is an interesting CONAN / Kirby ascetic to this piece.