Tuesday, April 6, 2010

iTrek

Like about three hundred thousand other people this past Saturday, I took possession of a new Apple iPad. It's a cool gadget -- very much like a big iPhone, but without the phone part. I have only spent a couple of hours playing with it, but already I can see lots of uses for it.

Every time I turn it on, I kinda feel like I'm transported into the world of "Star Trek", specifically the "Star Trek" of "Next Generation" and "Deep Space Nine". I am referring -- as fans of those series will no doubt know -- to the ubiquitous "PADDS" the characters would use for a variety of purpose ranging from displaying space station crime statistics to novel writing.

And when I'm within range of a wireless network, and have the entire Internet at my fingertips through the iPad's Safari browser, it almost feels like having the U.S.S. Enterprise's library computer at my beck and call.

Obviously, the iPad doesn't have all the capabilities of the fictional "PADDS", but, like modern cellphones, the iPad is just one more example of how our technology is gradually catching up to some of the gizmos introduced in "Star Trek". I must say it puts a smile on my face.



The above photo is of my iPad displaying one of a bunch of "Star Trek" graphics I found with a quick Google search. I hope someone writes an iPad app which will allow it to simulate an "LCARRS" display like this... could be a lot of fun! -- PL

10 comments:

Tommy Day said...

There was a Star Trek iPad app, but it got pulled already for copyright infringement from Paramount.

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2010/04/star-trek-ipad-app-pulled/

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought of the new Ipadds that way. Can't afford one at the moment as things like school are sapping my cash.

However I now want one just so I can put a LCARS pic on it and set it down like that and just look at it . . .

Course, by the time I am able to afford one, they just might catch up with TNG's tech . . .

Anonymous said...

Hey pete I know your a giant Star Trek fan, did you ever get to buy the real tricorders made by vital tech in the 90's? It reads EMF, temp, and whole bunch of other things. It looks like the real thing and you would really like it. just figure i'd ask. - M

Anonymous said...

Never imagined you getting an iPad on the first day! The Star Trek stuff rocks though

missemilylaird said...

I want one!! Have you used it as an e-reader yet?

PL said...

" msemilylaird said...
I want one!! Have you used it as an e-reader yet?"

I downloaded Apple's free iBooks program, which comes with a copy of "Winnie the Pooh". It's quite a nice program, and I think the iPad will make a great ebook reader. The page turn effect is extremely cool. -- PL

Daniel Schwarz said...

Turns out Gene Roddenberry was a better prognosticator than Nostradamus :)

mikeandraph87 said...

Your reference to the e-reader brought something to mind. People have been talking about how the internet and e-readers could in the next decade take over the traditional comic book and all comics will be online. Being an industry great,what is your opinion on the talk?

PL said...

"kenshiroh said...

http://trekmovie.com/2010/04/11/new-lcars-ipad-application-released/"

Thanks for that link! I downloaded the app and it's fun to use. I hope they add more stuff to it! -- PL

PL said...

" AGLIAREPT said...

Hey pete I know your a giant Star Trek fan, did you ever get to buy the real tricorders made by vital tech in the 90's? It reads EMF, temp, and whole bunch of other things. It looks like the real thing and you would really like it. just figure i'd ask. - M"

I'm pretty sure I saw that gizmo advertised, and I did have some interest in getting one. But I never did, for whatever reason. -- PL