Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Nature, red in tooth and claw"

I was reminded of this phrase -- it's from "In Memoriam A.H.H.", a poem by the English poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson -- yesterday when I returned to the Mirage offices after a cold, blustery bicycle ride. I was just about to open the door to bring my bicycle back inside and warm up (I really need to find my warmer riding gloves now), when I noticed two large birds, raptors of some type, flying close by. They appeared to be squabbling over the pigeon one of them had killed, which was held in one of the birds' talons.

It was a great opportunity to take some photos. I had my camera on a strap around my neck, and immediately turned it on... and was immediately disheartened to see the message "Batteries Low" appear on the screen. Fortunately, I had extra batteries in my pocket, and I replaced the dead ones in about a minute.
Unfortunately, by the time I was done with that, the birds has ceased their dramatic flapping of wings and posturing, and were just sitting in the tree at the corner of Mirage's parking lot. Still, I managed to get a few decent shots.




 

I'm not sure what kind of birds they were, exactly, but they were pretty cool to watch. -- PL

3 comments:

Mark H said...

I could be wrong but, I believe that is a Broad-winged Hawk.
I see them sometimes in my neck of the woods.
Here is a link:

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/35/overview/Broad-winged_Hawk.aspx
They are a smaller falcon. They are beautiful birds. Notice
the gray on the beak, the beak shape and, the spots on the wings. I'm 90 percent
sure that's what you have taken a picture of here. Great photos! Thanks for
sharing.

P. Bing said...

My first thought was Red-Tailed Hawk, ( http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/41/_/Red-tailed_Hawk.aspx ), but after the previous comment, I'm not entirely sure.

Mark H said...

P. Bing said...

"My first thought was Red-Tailed Hawk, ( http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/41/_/Red-tailed_Hawk.aspx ), but after the previous comment, I'm not entirely sure."

It's funny you say that because part of me is still thinking it could be a red tailed hawk also. It is hard to get a clear look at the tail feathers in the pictures. If the tail feathers where striped it is most likely a broad winged hawk. If they are a brownish red the it is a red tailed hawk. We do know that it is 100% a small hawk. :D I was guessing broad tailed hawk because the tail feathers we can see look a little lighter than your average red tailed hawk. Again, I could be wrong.