Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The last debate



I watched the last "debate" last night. Jeannine tried to, but only made it through about fifteen minutes before -- I think -- just getting completely bored.

Part of that may have been because, like the other "debates", this wasn't so much a debate as a recitation of campaign "talking points"... but it might also have been down to this curious phenomenon -- it seemed that almost every time President Obama spoke, Romney would follow up by essentially repeating (with slight, inconsequential changes) what Obama had said. It was actually pretty weird.

There were a few times when I thought I could see by Obama's facial expressions that HE thought it was quite odd, too. It wasn't exactly a meltdown for Romney, but I think it showed that if he REALLY had any "new ideas", he must have left them in his other suit.

Anyway, like many people in this great land of ours, I am happy to see this particular circus drawing to a close.

Remember -- get out and vote on November 6! (Or earlier, if you can, legally.) -- PL

1 comment:

Mark H said...

I thought it was strange too. Like dealing with Iran, President Obama has implemented strong sanctions against Iran. Romney agrees but, would want stronger sanctions. President Obama's strategy for Afghanistan is to withdraw by the end of 2014. Governor Romney was very harsh on the President for setting a time table for withdrawal. Then on Monday's debate Governor Romney seemed to fully support the President's withdrawal date. It was all very strange. Governor Romney has been running neoconservative for the past few years now; he is suddenly moderate when it comes to foreign policy. I have to wonder how frustrating it is for President Obama to debate with a man who keeps changing his views.
For the most part I did not learn any new information from this debate. It did seem to be a series of old talking points. It was a rather boring debate. My wife wanted to watch it but, she dozed off a half hour into it.
I'm looking forward to the end of this election. I have to be honest though, it will be really disappointing if we end up with President Romney as a result of the election. Yikes, that is scary. I have a deep seeded fear of four years of Bush like policies. I'm still not over the last Republican administration.
I believe progress has been slow with President Obama at the helm. I do however believe it is progress and, we are moving in the right direction. I can't wait to cast my vote. I would do it today if I could.
Have a good one Pete!
-M

Quick Note: It was great to finally meet you on Saturday. My family and I had a great time and, we appreciate how cordial and pleasant you were. I have framed and hung your "Treefaces" collection around my desk. I enjoy looking at them. You did a lot of great texture work. To my eye that is classic Peter Laird. Lots of texture and little details! Very cool!