Saturday, November 10, 2012

A little treat from the Turtle Documentary guys




When I got up this morning and checked my email, I found one containing the following link:

http://blip.tv/fauxpop-tv/chasing-turtles-ep12-sneak-peeks-peter-laird-6432339

It leads to a short clip which may or may not make its way into the TMNT documentary. Isaac and his crew taped it in my office at Mirage Studios in Northampton, and it's basically me talking about Graphix Duo-Shade (the special paper Kevin Eastman and I used when we drew the first bunch of issues of the original TMNT comic books), and -- in penciling, inking and then toning a drawing of Donatello -- giving a demonstration of how it works. That was a fun afternoon, hanging out with a nice group of people.

If you have ever wondered how the Duo-Shade paper makes its magic, you might want to check this out. -- PL

3 comments:

Adam Riches said...

This is so cool, thank you for sharing! I've always been enamored with the Duo-Shade technique. I wish they still made the stuff! I was only ever able to find it once before it got discontinued, but unfortunately I was a far less competent illustrator at the time. I'd love to see what I could do with it now.

It's really interesting that even many years later the chemicals in it don't ever seem to go bad, and that a twenty year old sheet of it still works just as good today. Hope all is well, Peter!

David McBride said...

Very cool. Great to get some insight into how you guys started out.

Peter Schaaff said...

Thanks for the insight. I am looking forward to this documentary.