Saturday, November 22, 2008

"Madame Sherri's Castle"

Today I intended to go for a motorcycle ride to this interesting site, but it was pretty darn cold -- water is freezing on the roads, so I think I'm going to hang up my helmet for the season. Instead of riding, I drove my truck to "Madame Sherrie's Castle", just across the river from Brattleboro, Vermont.

I first learned of this place about eight years ago while shopping with my wife in New Hampshire. I found a postcard with a photo of a beautiful stone arch set out in the woods. The back of the postcard only gave a little bit of information about it, but I was able to find the place.

Essentially, it is what is left (after a devastating fire and many years of exposure to the elements) of an unusual house owned by a woman named Antoinette Sherri, who apparently led a very colorful life. There isn't a lot left, but the curved and arched staircase is sill quite impressive. The house must have been very lovely before the fire.



This is the sign with a brief history of Madame Sherri posted near the entrance to the path leading up to the ruin.



And this is a photo (actually a combination of two photos) of the ruin that I took today. -- PL

4 comments:

PAAATE said...

Looks like it was a beautiful house. A shame it burned down

Bookgal said...

I can;t believe I never heard of this place. I have GOT to go and have a look!

~ tOkKa said...

-->> .. 0_0

Neil Vitale said...

When you see a picture of the ruin, it almost looks like it belongs in England and is the last remnant of some giant castle or something.

Not the shambles of a once giant house, heh.