Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mt. Skinner panorama

I'm having a whole bunch of fun with that Panorama Maker 4 program I got last week. I've been going through my hard drive looking for photos I've taken in the past with the intention of eventually making panoramas out of them. Here's one result:



This is a view from one of my favorite spots in the Valley -- Skinner State Park on the top of Mount Holyoke in South Hadley, MA. (I bicycled with my wife here on our first date.) I took the photos which make up this panorama from a rock ledge just below the ranger station on top of the mountain. From this perspective, you get a nice view of Northampton across the Connecticut River. -- PL

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice. The transitions are seamless. How many photos make up this panorama?

My Canon Elph had a panorama setting, but I was never very successful in using it.

Stan

PL said...

"Stan said...
Very nice. The transitions are seamless. How many photos make up this panorama?

My Canon Elph had a panorama setting, but I was never very successful in using it.

Stan"

Stan, this one was made from seven photos, taken a few years ago with my six megapixel Sanyo camera. I didn't use any special setting -- just stood in one spot and turned slightly to take each successive photo, trying to be as careful as possible to keep the same orientation of the camera for each one.

Here's the URL to download Panorama Maker 4 from versiontracker.com:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10906801

It's for Macs, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were something similar for PCs. To get full functionality, you have to pay something like $80, but the tryout version will allow you to do panoramas -- it will just save them in a lower resolution. I really like the way it intelligently arranges and blends the photos -- really, the best I've seen yet in this kind of software. -- PL

Michael Dooney said...

That is sweet! I think rather than getting the program myself, I'll just make you my official panorama maker when I need one ;)

Anonymous said...

Ah, fond memories... Do you know when these pictures were taken?

PL said...

"amicitia6 said...
Ah, fond memories... Do you know when these pictures were taken?"

The photos were taken on May 11, 2007. -- PL