Friday, November 13, 2009

Blast from the Past #253: My first Duo-Shade drawing (I think)

I'm pretty sure this was the first illustration I ever did using Graphix Duo-Shade board, the paper on which Kevin and I would later draw most of the early TMNT comics. The tones -- especially the light ones -- on this particular drawing have faded somewhat, as they sadly tend to do on Duo-Shade originals. I think it has something to do with the nature of the chemicals which combine to make the tones.



I think this was probably done in the late 1970's, and quite possibly for "Hampshire Life". -- PL

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice, its a shame some of it has faded but the quality still holds up. i like the life they have in the eyes. very nice Pete!

mikeandraph87 said...

Was this a portrait of a woman and child or just a generic drawing?

Its pretty cool that you keep everything you do. Most aritsit unfortantely don't do that as much these days.

PL said...

"mikeandraph87 said...

Was this a portrait of a woman and child or just a generic drawing?

Its pretty cool that you keep everything you do. Most artists unfortunately don't do that as much these days."

I guess that's one of the few good things about being a "pack rat" -- I still have a lot of the artifacts of my youth (or relative youth).

I can't remember where the reference for this drawing came from. It might have been from a single photo, or from two photos -- I really don't recall. I'm not even sure if this was ever printed anywhere. -- PL

~ tOkKa said...

-->> Very loose lines, wonder how often you were approached to do portraits like these.

I cannot imagine that you DIDN'T capture the likenesses pretty well.

Pete J said...

I like the emotions in this one. it looks like she's going "come on baby look at daddy with the camera" but the baby is lost in his own happy imagination seeing colorful characters dance around the room before him. The mother's eyes seem to have a sense of childhood wonder to them, probably brought on by the joy of her son.