Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Snowy night scene

This past Saturday I managed to get out on a bicycle ride, something I haven't been able to do for quite a while. I didn't go on the bike paths -- those aren't plowed, and are still covered in snow and ice -- but it was warm enough (mid-40s) and the roads were clear enough that I spent about half an hour enjoying this unexpected pleasure.

I hoped to do it again the following day, but that Saturday night, when I let the dogs out to pee, I was confronted by the evidence that winter has not yet let go its grip on us -- snow was falling. This was disheartening, but I was taken by the dramatic lighting in our front yard. It was a dark night, and the walkway light was starkly illuminating the bushes decorated by the recently fallen snow. I set up my camera on my TrekPod and got this shot.



The next morning, I took another shot of the same location in daylight.



Quite a difference! -- PL

4 comments:

Summer said...

Incredible! Snow can makes the landscape so beautiful, especially at night! The second picture looks like a completely different location.

garsh said...

Nice! Snow makes one of my favorite photography subjects. I'm particularly drawn to scenes with trees covered in snow or ice. The result is so dramatic and magical.

mikeandraph87 said...

That is awesome! Sonw always makes for beautiful landscape shots. I wish it would snow more here,but your probably sick of it there.

~ tOkKa said...

-->> .. damn, so serene in both shots.

You think you can make a "Stitched - Panorama " snow shot at some point ??