Wednesday, January 26, 2011

"Hexapod" step two

When I began to ink the "Hexapod: drawing (with a #6 Sakura Pigma Sensei pen), it started to gel, to come together. Curiously, I think it was figuring out what I was going to do with its mouth that made it work for me. I was stuck on that -- should it have sharp, pointy teeth? Flat herbivore teeth? No teeth at all?

What I finally decided on was an odd sort of "baleen" type thing, similar to what some whales have -- more of a rough, bristly strainer than teeth per se. And when I drew that in, the creature suddenly became real for me (well, as REAL as something like this can get!). And the inking progressed from there.

Here's the inked version as it stands now. I was going to say "the final inked version", but I may play around with it a little more.





Next up -- the color version. -- PL

3 comments:

B.Thomas said...

I really like the extensive detail in this illustration. The Hexapod looks like it is ready to cause some destruction (regardless of its actual size).

mikeandraph87 said...

Very good details. The effort definitely shines through!

Raphael would definitely be afraid of this thing but would be too proud to admit it.lol

Ronin Artist said...

Whoa, very nice, will add to favorites.