Friday, May 4, 2012

The things you miss when you don't know where to look…

A couple of days ago I was talking to Gary Richardson, and he was telling me about a nature walk taken by him and his wife. They saw numerous blue herons in their nests, as well as an eagle.

As he was describing where this took place, I realized that he was talking about an area past which I often ride my bicycle… but I had no idea these sights were there!

So yesterday, during a lull in the rain, I pedaled out to the spot and took a look. I didn't see the eagle or its nest, but I certainly saw the herons and their nest perched in some very tall trees.














(Actually, in looking at the photos more closely just before I posted them, I think I did get a shot of the eagle…


… even though I didn't realize it at the time.) -- PL

1 comment:

Mark H said...

Cool pictures Pete! Those herons are beautiful birds. I have never seen so many of them nesting in one place like that, have you? That's really neat. Is there a large body of water in that area or, just the marshy wetland that you captured in the fifth picture down?
That last picture is a bald eagle, there is no doubt in my mind. I've heard we have them here in Massachusetts but, I have never seen one with my own eyes. How cool is it that you captured a photo of a bald eagle without even realizing it till later?
Excellent pictures, thank you for sharing them! Have a good one,
-M