Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The geometry of nature, part 2

We got yet another snowstorm yesterday, which left us with several more inches of snow. It was pretty to look at, as you can see from this photo I took from the small deck outside our bedroom.


It wasn't as pretty to deal with, as I found out while spending several hours afterwards shoveling and snowplowing -- this snow was heavier and wetter than it looked.

Then later in the day, the wind kicked up quite fiercely, and by nighttime it was howling. When we went to bed last night, we could feel the house vibrating as the occasional huge gust of wind hit. It took a while to get to sleep with that noise.

This morning, I looked out of the bedroom window and saw another example of nature's geometry.


I think that branch may have been blown off one of the trees behind our house, and fell with enough force to get stuck in the deep, crusty snow in the backyard… and then got pushed around in last night's fierce wind, carving that perfect arc into yesterday's layer of snow. -- PL

4 comments:

Jeff M said...

I love the scene looking off the deck.... perhaps this would make a pretty good drawing.. I'd surely have a fin time painting it.

Mark H said...

Natures compass. Very neat.
The picture off of the deck is beautiful. To be honest Mr. Laird, after the past month of snow. I'm looking forward to more green colors when I look out the window.
Thanks for Sharing.

PL said...

"Mark H said...
Natures compass. Very neat.
The picture off of the deck is beautiful. To be honest Mr. Laird, after the past month of snow. I'm looking forward to more green colors when I look out the window. "

Mark, that makes two of us -- and I suspect there are a lot more in the snow belt who "crave the green". -- PL

~ tOkKa said...

-->> Nice.

Gee, Pete - i still'd love to see you go pro in photography.

~ t