Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Apple omelet

As the initial blast of what is predicted to be a huge snowstorm fell outside this morning...



... I decided to try something I'd thought about the last couple of days -- I was going to make an omelet, but use fruit instead of vegetables. In this case, that meant a Granny Smith apple.

There may in fact be many recipes out there for omelets made with fruit, but (a) I've never heard of such an omelet and (b) I didn't look for a recipe. I decided to wing it.

And the approach was pretty basic -- I peeled and chopped up one apple into small chunks, then sauteed these bits in a frying pan with about one tablespoon of butter, allspice, cinnamon, and sugar (about half a teaspoon of each). As these ingredients were cooking, I decided to throw in a few dried cranberries (one of my favorite things, and they go very well with apples in other recipes).

Then I just had to follow the basic rules of omelet making, and about five minutes later I had this:


Jeannine was dubious, but to her credit she DID eat a bit of the finished product, and deemed it "not bad". But it was really not to her taste -- she prefers savory, not sweet, omelets. To be honest, even though I enjoyed this one and ate it all (except for the bite that Jeannine took), so do I. That's why next time I plan to go savory instead of sweet, but keep the apple and the dried cranberries, and see how that works. -- PL

5 comments:

Adam Riches said...

Palblog is venturing in to some exciting new territory with this post, I like it! You definitely should post future concoctions.

Jeff M said...

Here in Columbus Ohio we got about 1/2 inch of ice on everything last night. Not the norm for central Ohio. We usually get just the tail end of the lake effect snow. It's funny to see people slippin' n slidin' both outside and on the news. We're going to get more throughout the day, and some snow as well. It seems this storm is hitting everyone.

It's unusual you posted something about an omelet this morning. When I woke up this morning, It seemed to be the bast breakfast to make. so, I also had an omelet this morning. Tho, yours was much more adventurous.

mikeandraph87 said...

I thought pepperoni and mushrooms was adventurous,but this might be one step beyond that!

Agreed with Adam. My father hacvng recently semi-retired is also getting into this chef mood. Its good to see taking up these interest!

Unknown said...

Hahah, that omelet looks pretty interesting! I should try one some day.. speaking of adventurous foods, there's this one thing my mom loves (or used to love anyway) that I just haven't had the heart to try yet. She takes a banana, puts a lot of cheese on top of it, microwaves it until the cheese is melted and then eats the whole darn thing with a spoon. That's just creepy.

PL said...

"Miika said...
Hahah, that omelet looks pretty interesting! I should try one some day.. speaking of adventurous foods, there's this one thing my mom loves (or used to love anyway) that I just haven't had the heart to try yet. She takes a banana, puts a lot of cheese on top of it, microwaves it until the cheese is melted and then eats the whole darn thing with a spoon. That's just creepy."

I've never heard of that before. I'm not sure it sounds creepy to me, but I doubt I would try it -- I like bananas all right, but not heated up. -- PL